This position is currently open.
Ofc. of Environmental Health
Type of Position:
Regular Full Time
Absentee Shawnee Tribe / 2025 S. Gordon Cooper Dr. / Shawnee, OK 74801
The primarily responsibility of the AST Utility Operator is to oversee the day-to-day operation
activities of the Tribal water and wastewater utilities administered under the Office of
Environmental Health & Engineering. The AST Utility Operator's role is to operate, monitor,
and perform general maintenance and repairs to the various water and wastewater systems
owned and operated by the Absentee Shawnee Tribe of Oklahoma. The incumbent will be
responsible for daily monitoring and maintenance of the water systems chlorination systems,
maintaining daily chlorination and monthly operating logs. The incumbent will be responsible
for monthly, quarterly and annual laboratory sampling required by each water system as they
pertain to each regulatory agency. Complies with all safety standards and practices as they
pertain to equipment, facility operations and chemical handling. Maintenance of wastewater
systems will be required in maintaining wastewater lagoons, (trees/brush and grass) along with
maintenance of aerobic wastewater systems to ensure chlorine is added/ maintained and sprinkler
heads are clear of grass and weeds to ensure proper operation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct monthly, quarterly and annual laboratory sampling and inspections
• Collects daily chlorine residual readings for daily log.
• Maintains the chlorination system pump and tank to insure proper chlorine residual.
• Operates and monitors a variety of water supply and treatment equipment such as:
• Pumping Systems
• Chemical Feeders
• Measuring and control systems
• Read and interpret gauges and recording devices reflecting water system operations.
• Collects samples and conduct chemical test of chlorination system.
• Maintain the public water systems to ensure a clean and healthy community water supply
• Maintains a monthly operating log book for each Tribal water system.
• Ensure an adequate supply of water for human consumption and firefighting activities
• Maintenance of wastewater systems
• Maintenance of aerobic wastewater systems to ensure chlorine is added/ maintained
• Report maintenance and repair needs to the Director
o Perform other duties as assigned or required by the Director.
Bachelor's degree in an environmental science field preferred with a minimum of 1 years'
experience in water/wastewater. Water/Wastewater class "D" licenses preferred. Must be able to
establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisory personnel, coworkers
and the general public. Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing and
spreadsheet and data base software. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must
have excellent communication skills and be able to comununicate clearly in person, in writing,
and by telephone and email. Must have organizational skills and be able to plan, prioritize
project tasks, meet project deadlines and manage work load to meet goals in a timely manner.
Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good
moral character standing. Must be able to work extended hours in emergency situations dealing
with protecting the public's health and safety. Must have a valid driver's license.
• A Bachelor's degree in an environmental science field + one year of experience m the
water/wastewater field preferred.
• Must be able to acquire a class "D" Water and Wastewater licenses through ODEQ within 6 months
• Combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates an ability to perform the duties
of the position
• Must have the ability to use computer technology and various software programs, especially MS
Windows, Word, Excel, Access, and Internet and e-mail programs.
• Ability to interact effectively with staff members from government entities such as Tribal, EPA, BIA
• Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
• Must be a self-starter, motivated and able to achieve task as required without daily supervision.
• A working knowledge of applicable federal laws and other regulations as they are applied to water
and waste water utility operations. Such as ODEQ Title 252 Chapter 631 Public Water Supply
• The ability to perform light manual labor, including the ability to lift 50 pounds.
• A valid Oklahoma Drivers License is required.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
1 month 1 week ago
Friday, September 25, 2020